Monday, March 9, 2015

March 9, 2015 (Australia)

Greetings,
For this week's newsletter click on;
www.nursinghomemusicministry.com/3-9-2015.html

   Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.
Proverbs 16:3

          Monday March 2 nd ~
     Woke up ridiculously early. Finished sending out the newsletter and walked down the street to the Tabernacle Baptist church here in Brisbane, Australia for a morning prayer time with four of the Elders.
     I asked them to intercede on my behalf for relief from these cold symptoms which are keeping me from my mission.
     Paid for another night's lodging. Turns out, Australia is a rather wealthy / expensive nation. This hotel room runs $85 au a night, among the cheapest around.
     A 20 minute walk takes me to an inter-city grocery store where I fill my little day-pack with enough supplies for one day.
     I've held off renting a car for the moment. Seems pointless to spend the money when I can't go into the nursing homes until these cold symptoms abate.
     Sleep pattern is all wacky. Held off until about 2:00 pm, then slept for 6 hours. Feels like a fever broke. I woke up with sweat soaked sheets. And the runny nose has eased somewhat and moved into my chest.
          Tuesday March 3 rd ~
     Up at 3:00 am. Feeling a mite better. Decided to book the car rental in anticipation of heading out tomorrow. A 20 minute walk to the Europcar Rental Office where I picked up a Volkswagen Jetta. While driving back to the hotel I only started down the wrong side of the street once. Swerved back at the last moment. I imagine several folks (including myself) were thinking, "What an idiot".
     I figured it would be a challenge driving on the left side of the road. So much of our driving habits are second nature, going back to our early years. Guess I'm having to use both sides of my brain (smile) constantly reminding myself to stay on the left, turn onto the left, etc. With the steering wheel on the right side of the vehicle I'm learning to glance at the rear view mirrors exactly opposite of what I grew up with. Thankfully I got an automatic. Learning to shift gears with my left hand on top of everything else might have been more than I wanted to deal with.
     So, having paid for one more night here in Brisbane I spent the rest of the day checking out the car's owners manual, going for a couple of walks (let the blood sugar get too low on the last one). Practiced driving around the downtown area a little and before bedtime, pulled out the guitar to test the singing voice. Getting better.
          Wednesday March 4 th ~
     Up early again. Loaded up the car and headed out shortly after daybreak. (Wanted to beat the morning traffic.) About a 20 minute drive south to where I started looking for a nursing home I'd been directed to by a Sister (Michille) who I'd met at the church this past weekend. Her mother is a resident.
     Took me an hour to find it. After I got off the freeway I approached a group of street workers, asking directions. One of 'em pulled out a smart phone and showed me a street map which pointed the way. Pretty neat! Gonna have to look into that for the future.
     Finally pulled into the "Bethany Christian Care" complex about 8:00 am. A sprawling, upscale facility with all levels of "Aged Care" (Aussi term). The AD (Sandie) allowed me to go into three of their little "Group Homes" where I sang for about 15 minutes each. Several folks sang along in all three. I gave Sandie three Cd's and the book "Mold Me ~ Shape Me". I'd brought enough with me on the plane for fifteen facility's.
     On the way back to the freeway I stopped at a "Big W", a kind of mini Walmart, where I bought an ice cooler to help the little travel case keep the insulin cool.
     Back on the M1 headed south. Turned off into Southport on the Gold Coast, but it was way too touristy and congested for my taste. Continuing south, I pulled off at Pottsville where I got a room at their motel.
          Thursday March 5 th ~
     Daybreak 6:30am. Went for a walk to the beach to get a picture of the sunrise. Then packed up and drove to the upscale nursing home in town. The AD (Jann) made noises about criminal background checks. Wouldn't let me in. So, I drove south to Byron Bay to the "Aged Care" facility next to the little hospital. The AD (Lynn) set me up for 3:30 in the afternoon.
     This little town (another congested touristy area) is in the Territory of "New South Wales" which I crossed into yesterday. Brisbane is in Queensland. These area's might be comparable to the different States in the US.
     A quick check of motels in town revealed ridiculously high prices. Just outside of town I found a "Caravan Park" with camping spots and little air-conditioned cabins. Rented one for $95 a night.
     Got over to the nursing home as they were finishing up Bingo. After their "Afternoon Tea", about 16 residents came back for our time together. Most sang along. I'm learning which songs speak to them. For instance, "I'll Fly Away" doesn't work. They don't recognize it. But "In The Sweet By & By" does.
     We had a sweet time together. Said our goodbyes. I got Blessed by many as I shook hands and thanked folks for listening. I then returned to the cabin for an early evening on this hot & humid 96 degree (Fahrenheit) day.
          Friday March 6 th ~
     Continuing south, the day started off drizzly, but soon cleared up. As I left the "Gold Coast" area, the M1 started alternating to a two lane going through small towns and back to a freeway. About noontime I pulled over in one of these little hamlets, Ulmarra. While walking around I spotted a rather nice Bed & Breakfast where the owners directed me to the "Aged Care" in town (Rathgar Lodge). Drove on over and was allowed to sing in the Alzheimer's section after lunch.
     Went on back to the B & B and got a room for the night.
          Saturday March 7 th ~
     Enjoyed a delicious breakfast provided by my host. Visited a bit. Then drove south a good little ways. Stopped in a medium size town to get supplies. Some locale's advised me to continue to "South West Rocks", assuring me there would be available lodging at reasonable rates. Turned out to have "No Vacancy" where they'd sent me.
     Got a room back off the beaten path. Went for a drive to a place where I could get pictures of the ocean and some kangaroos' I just walked right up on.
     Earlier in the day I had stopped at a nursing home where the male charge nurse felt he needed permission (from higher-ups, not present) to let me come in and sing. So far, 3 out of 5 (60 percent) are letting me come in and minister.
          Sunday March 8 th ~
     Drove into Kempsey where I spotted a fella with a guitar going into a small Baptist church. Walked in and was quickly asked to bring in the guitar. Given the opportunity to share a bit about the ministry, a couple of songs and my one-minute-sermon.
     A couple from the church (Stephan & Maria) had me over to their house for lunch and a visit. Then back at evening services I was given the honor of sharing a song after their guest speaker (Mark) did a presentation about "Jews-for-Jesus".  There was a dinner-on-the-grounds after services. Then Kay and Ron had offered a room for the night at their place. Which turned out to be a long ways away out in the Bush. The last 3 kilometers on a gravel road. And the final 50 yards were so rough I had to leave the rental car and ride in their vehicle to the house.
     Some unfamiliar animal noises throughout the night:-) 

And so begins another week.


May The Lord Our God
Guard, Guide And Direct You.
In The Name Of Jesus. Amen!


Your Brother in Christ, Larry Eugene Stevens

P.S.    To God be the Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nursing Home Music Ministry

Blog Archive