Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Listen

Listen!

      Anna Bell was a hundred and five years old when I knew her. She lived at the Village Christian Apartments where I worked.
      On the bottom floor of one of the buildings there was a large fellowship hall with attached kitchen for special events. I was sitting next to Anna Bell during one of these social functions when she turned to me and said, “Larry, I thought you were 26 years old, but somebody told me you were 50.”
      I responded, “Well I’m 37.”
      But I got to thinking later, that from her perspective of 105; there probably wasn’t much difference between 26, 37 or 50.
      In some ways, everything is relative.
 
     So anyway, one of my jobs there was working a regular Monday–Friday 40 hour work week as assistant maintenance man. I also had the title of Assistant Manager, but all that really meant was that I was on call 24 hours a day which gave me an apartment to live in on the property.
      One day the main maintenance man came to me and said, “When you get a chance, go check out Anna Bell’s furnace closet. She claims she’s hearing a noise in it. I’ve checked it out and I don’t think there’s anything wrong, but just to make her happy why don’t you go take a look too.”
      A little bit later I spotted Anna Bell in the courtyard sitting on a bench. I went over and sat down beside her and said, “Anna Bell, I understand you’ve got a problem in your apartment.”
      She said, “Yes, there’s a noise coming from my furnace closet. It happens twice a day. Just before eight in the morning it goes beep, beep, beep. And then again in the evening just before eight it goes beep, beep, beep again.”
      I said, “Well Anna Bell, that sounds like an alarm clock.”
      We went up to her apartment and sure enough, located right next to the furnace closet was a table with a beautiful electronic clock on top. I walked over and set the alarm to go off—beep, beep, beep.
      Anna Bell got all excited, pointing at it saying, “That’s it! That’s it!”
      I turned off the alarm, explained what had probably happened and from then on as far as she was concerned, I could do no wrong.

Listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nursing Home Music Ministry

Blog Archive